Top Takeaways: NMHC’s (National Multifamily Housing Council) Annual Meeting
January 31, 2019
The NMHC’s (National Multifamily Housing Council) Annual Meeting was held in San Diego this week. The following are the primary takeaways from the event by Barry Slatt Mortgage.
- The activity and attendance levels of the conference were strong and diverse.
- Multi-family vacancy rates and rents are healthy throughout most major markets in the United States.
- The National market for multi-family acquisitions was robust in 2018 and will continue to be throughout 2019.
- Capitalization rates for multi-family properties are at all-time lows.
- There is a lack of housing in the coastal communities within California. This has created a market where rates are increasing and there is a high demand for new units to be constructed.
- An investment in multi-family properties currently can be viewed as a hedge against inflation.